Wednesday, January 22, 2014

News

Janurary 9, 2014 will be a day that I remember for a long time. I was at home and Amelia called me. I was about to go with Brynn to clean the Salt Lake Temple. She said they got the results back from the CT scan. They found a mass in Mom's abdomen that was 6 cm x 14cm.  The doctor felt that due to location and size that it could be Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. A type of cancer that is very treatable and can be cured.
Brynn and I canceled our trip to go clean and went up the Centerville. Breanne was there and talk to Bill Dunson, an Internalist  up at the U Medical Center. He talked to Mom about the next steps and that it is something she can fight. I was up there Friday, and Saturday as well to give moral support. Emily flew in and was there to help Mom as she would be going in for a biopsy for the tumor on Monday January 13.
I felt calm, but still a bit hard to handle that your mom has cancer. Brynn was a great help and support. One of my best friends is a Anesthesiologist, but studied Oncology up at the Huntsman for four years while doing his undergrad at BYU-Idaho. Konrad was great to talk to and to gain information from. He was very patient and realized that it is a long hard experience. He has continued to text or call and ask home she is doing and how I am doing.
I felt calm and that my mom and the family could get through this.  I was at work on January 17 when I received a phone call from my sister Amelia. She had just got off the phone with my mom who had just talked with Dr. Witten. Her pathology report had just come back from the tumor they had discovered on January 7, 2014. The cancer is not curable, it is treatable though.
We were having a birthday surprise party for my brother Nathan at our house. Breanne asked if we were still having it. I said yes, we need to keep on with our lives. I felt that is what Mom would want us to do. The party was great. Nathan was thoroughly surprised. After everyone left I lost it. I don't think Brynn has seen me that emotional. My heart ached for my Mom. I went up Saturday and mom was able to sleep. I talked with my Dad and I could tell he was having a hard time, but had a positive outlook. He doesn't want to lose his best friend, his partner, but he understands the Master's plan.
I watched some Scarecrow and Mrs. King with mom and did some errands for her. It felt like when I was little, at home with Mom during the day.
The last week I have been thinking of all the times I spent with Mom, and realized that I still have a lot more time I will get to spend with her. It is still scary to think about, but living in the moment and having the faith that all will work out has helped.
I have seen a lot of strong people in my days. I have never seen someone so small have so much courage and determination to fight! My mom is an inspiration to me. She always has been, but this has been a reminder of her faith and hope. She is unwavering in her belief that Heavenly Father is in charge, and He is a God of miracles.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Samuel you are a great son and brother. You have always given such great and loving care to Mom and I feel so blessed to know you and consider you a friend. I love you!

    ReplyDelete